Meg Turney is a renowned host, cosplayer, and vlogger. She is mega cool and answered some burning Disney questions I had. The Babes are also giving away one of Meg’s rad sweatshirts!
1. The first time we cosplayed together we were in a Disney group and you did Mulan. Is she your favorite Disney character?
It’s hard for me to pick a favorite, but I do absolutely LOVE Mulan – she’s fierce and independent and I love the message her story sends to little girls.
2. Are there any other Disney characters you have been wanting to costume?
I’d love to do some version of Ariel at some point. She was my go-to princess when I was a little, so I’ll always have a real sweet spot for her.
3. What did you think of Moana?
Moana was great! I was probably the only person on the planet who wasn’t a big fan of Frozen, so I was a little worried walking into Moana that maybe I’d just outgrown Disney or grown apart from it, but I thought the movie was great.
4. You make a great Black Cat from Marvel. Do you plan on any other Marvel cosplays in the future?
Aw, thank you! Right now my future cosplay plans are mostly videogame-inspired, but I can’t stay away from superheroes for too long.
5. You call your fans MegaNerds. Did you come up with that or was it something they started?
It’s been a long time, but I think I actually asked people on Twitter what they thought they should be called and someone suggested it. I like having something special to call my fans because it brings us closer together. It’s not just me and fans, it’s all of us MegaNerds. It’s awesome.
6. You have an impressive background with SourceFed and Rooster Teeth. Do you have any plans to do something similar again in the future?
I really treasure my time at both SF and RT, but it’s hard for me to really see myself landing at a company right now. My schedule’s just too crazy and I’ve adjusted to waking up whenever a cat paws me in the face as opposed to having an alarm, buuuuut I’d be open to it in the future. I really, really miss talking about videogame news for a living and it’s not really something I can do on my own, so I’d be happy to host somewhere again someday.
7. Are you looking forward to any specific conventions this year?
This year I’ve actually taken a very large step back from con season. Last year, with the stress of things ending with RT, I took on way too many conventions, stacking them back-to-back-to-back in some cases and it really took its toll on me. So this year I wanted to be more mindful of spending my time wisely and with an eye to longevity as opposed to living out of a suitcase for months at a time. Having said that, I really want to experience more cons as an attendee, so I’ll be attending my very first Dragon*Con this year – I can’t wait!
8. What kind of content do you provide for your Patreon subscribers?
My Patreon is run like a fan club, so people who really want all the news on what I’m doing first or must have all the exclusive prints or really want to help shape my Youtube content can do it all in one place, but if that’s not something you’re interested in, you still get all the same content I produced before for free. My backers get to vote on what photoshoots I do, they get exclusive posters, they see youtube videos first – things like that. I love it because I feel like the people I’m making the content for are actually getting to be a part of it and that’s really special to me.
9. You are so gracious and welcoming to your fans. What sets them apart from other fandoms?
MegaNerds are the best because they’re so damn kind. In my time as a cosplayer, a youtuber, a model, a twitch streamer, etc. etc., I’ve been exposed to all sorts of different fanbases and MegaNerds are just so passionate and caring and understanding – it’s honestly so touching to me. They push me when I need it and they give me slack when I need it, too; I couldn’t ask for better fans.
10. And finally, are you still planning on filling in your pink heart tattoo to match my black one? 😉
Hahaha YES! I must! The pink was cute and all but it’s faded and it looks like I went to a club a few days ago and haven’t taken a shower or something. I’m happy to join you on the dark side!
Thank you so much to Meg for her time and welcome to the dark side! Now for the giveaway details:
The Babes are giving away one MegaNerd zip hoodie, made by The Yetee. This is limited to the US only. It is super easy to enter.
- Like our Facebook or Instagram Page
- Subscribe to the Podcast
- Comment as to why you love Meg and Babes of Wonderland
The winner will be announced May 10th!